Islay's Terrace Studio & Shop
The Wild Dyer: A Maker's Guide to Natural Dyes with Projects to Create and Stitch | Hardcover
A complete illustrated guide to natural dyeing, including simple stich techniques, projects, and foraging, from London-based Forest + Found studio co-founder Abigail Booth
Natural dyes are colors and pigments that are derived from plants and minerals. They teach us the value of color and how to work sparingly and be mindful of our consumption of water and energy, and fabrics colored with natural dyes have a beauty and subtlety all their own. Nature's bounty like onion and avocado skins, chamomile and birch bark, and nettles and acorns can produce lovely, ethereal colors and effects.
The Wild Dyer demystifies the eco-conscious art and craft of natural dyeing, comprehensively covering topics such as:
- Foraging and growing dying materials
- Repurposing kitchen trimmings
- Making and using long-lasting dyes
- Creating stitched projects
- Workspace setup and equipment
- Fabric choices and care
Beautiful accompanying photographs and easy-to-follow instructions also illustrate how to make eight exquisite household items, from a drawstring bag to a gardener's smock to a reversible patchwork blanket, and more. The Wild Dyer is a complete guide for both beginners and experienced artists seeking to expand their knowledge of this increasingly popular craft.
Abigail Booth is the London-based cofounder of the studio collective Forest + Found. Working across textiles, drawing, and painting, she exhibits her art throughout the world.
Sending your purchase direct to a friend or loved one? I'm happy to wrap it as a gift!
- Our gift packaging includes colorful tissue paper and recycled shredded paper (if it's an item that's boxed and not shipped flat).
- We'll also remove any price tags.
- I can also include a hand-written gift note.
To mark your order as a gift:
- Use the message box at checkout to let us know it's a gift and include your requested gift message. If you forget this step, just email Homesliceshop@gmail.com within an hour of ordering.